21 November, 2019

Sunshine Runner




Teton Dam Marathon Finish line 2007


I had never run a full marathon before, at mile 19 I hit a wall and discouragedly started walking. I was overwhelmed with over 8 miles left in the race, tears filled my eyes as I thought about the months of training I had invested. I was overwhelmed, hurting, and exhausted. I felt like a failure.

Another runner, someone I had never met, ran up alongside me and offered encouraging words. He paced me the rest of the race providing support and boosts of confidence.

As we neared the finish, spectators lined the streets. Someone yelled out to me, “Pick it up! You can beat him!”

Without hesitation, I called out “We’re a Team!”

The sunshine runner grabbed my hand and we ran across the finish line together.
Grateful, I am, ... for the sunshine runner.
May we all have sunshine runners in our lives. May we all be sunshine runners in the lives of others.



21 November 2019, Grand Forks, ND 8° Fahrenheit





Now days,  I dash through the snow with this monkey.
He also provides encouragement, support and bonus entertainment.  


No comments:

Full Catastrophe Living

  “ 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” -  Alfred Tennyson   To be Alive To be truly alive Is to...