22 November, 2019

Death Cafe @ The Ember

Lets talk about death. deathcafe.com/GrandForks

My daughter died.  And now she is dead.


I don’t use euphemisms regarding her death.   I understand that makes some people uncomfortable.  I don't like making people uncomfortable. And the truth still stands that she didn’t pass away, and she is not sleeping.  She died. I simply prefer to call it what it is.   

The pain of loss is NOT in the semantics people tip-toe around regarding death.  Terms like “death” or “died”- are just truth. The real pain is the loss. I don’t get to see her or hold her or watch her grow up.


We live in a death-denying culture, we don’t like to think about, talk about or acknowledge death. Death is frightening, and can be difficult to bring up in discussion.  Yet, this denial only exacerbates the grieving process. Death is an inevitable reality, and although we may logically recognize this, most of us sweep it under the rug because it makes us feel uncomfortable.  
So let us have conversation. Interesting conversation guaranteed.

When we choose to acknowledge death, to face the uncomfortable reality that will inevitably happen to us all we open to truth, to light.  Recognizing life as finite helps us to live more fully. Many world religions hold beautiful and sacred beliefs about life, after-life, past lives and future lives.  I too hold to beliefs that there is existence beyond what I now experience. Still this life is finite. 

No need to spare my feelings by using euphemisms,  I’d prefer to be true and clear. And I would love to see you and talk to you!
Join me @DeathCafe and share your thoughts, feelings and experiences regarding death.
Tuesday 26 November 6:00pm  
The Ember   8 Third Street, Grand Forks, ND

No comments:

Full Catastrophe Living

  “ 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” -  Alfred Tennyson   To be Alive To be truly alive Is to...