11 May, 2010

A compost bin even a mother could love



I finally found a compost system that I like. I found it on P. Allen Smith's website. Elias helped me build it. I filled it with old leaves and straw bales that we used to insulate the chicken coop. I also used the old straw as mulch around the strawberries and in the herb garden to help keep weeds down. Hopefully when we are gone for the summer the straw mulch will help the plants survive without additional watering.



I recently saw that Elias and his friends removed a length of bark along one side of my apple tree that has 15 different varieties of apple grafted onto it (aka very special tree!). I put on my surgeons hat on and did a little bridge grafting to try and salvage what I could. We'll see how it takes.

2 comments:

Roger said...

Very nice work doctor!

the.lamb.castle@gmail.com said...

This mother loves to compost and loves the bin you made for us. Thanks Eric.

Full Catastrophe Living

  “ 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” -  Alfred Tennyson   To be Alive To be truly alive Is to...