19 March, 2021

911

Many years ago someone said to me: 



“I’ve never called 9-1-1. The kind of people that call 911 seem like needy parasite types”.


And I wondered:  Wouldn’t it be nice to live such a posh life that all my needs were met, that my health care was never in danger,  that I was always physically safe?

It takes a lot of grit to call 9-1-1.  It is frightening. There were many times I took a beating to avoid calling.   

So what kind of people call 911?  This kind of person. Me.

I called 911. . .

*When my ex husband tried to strangle me.

*When my landlord shot my cat.

*Last year when in the wee hours of the morning I heard men chanting “White Power” from a nearby rooftop.

*And lastly, when I went to wake up my baby girl and realized that she was dead.



All of these experiences have shaped who I am and helped me to relate to people in unexpected ways. It has also put me in a position where some people can't relate to me. But, even with all I've been through, I still carry so much privilege.

I may be impulsive, flighty, and I still struggle when I have to hold still for long periods of time (you know like 10 minutes). For years I shamed myself for these traits. Not anymore.  No shame.

Because dammit, I have a lot to offer and  I’ve got GRIT.

No comments:

Full Catastrophe Living

  “ 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” -  Alfred Tennyson   To be Alive To be truly alive Is to...