23 November, 2008

Elias and the Deer




Here is a censored picture of the deer that I "harvested" last week. It was a medium sized 8 point (4x4) white tail. I was able to field dress him by myself after watching many YouTube videos about the process. I was a little nervous that I was going to be too grossed out, because I felt that way when watching the videos. But when it came down to the business, it went pretty smooth. We have grilled up some steaks and made some roasts and we've come to the conclusion that venison is the new black- we love it. I'm hooked, I'm going next year. A word about the grouse - it was excellent, it went very nice with my alfredo sauce.

I've also included a picture of Elias at the fire station wearing his batman cape that Grandma Castle made for him. He loves wearing it.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

Next year, elk. It's yummy. Marinate in soy sauce and garlic before grilling and it is very yummy and not gamey tasting. You should post butchering pictures... I posted some of my husband skinning the elk. Gross and cool all at the same time :)

Tamie said...

ah the combined super-hero's aof little boys' imaginiations....LOVE the batman cape & the helmet...nothing could stop that kid!
and congrats on the deer eric! i haven't had good elk meat in a loooong time (my family hunt elk...) nothin' beats the taste of wild meat!

Angela said...

So did Heidi try it as well? I'm impressed. I'm not much of a deer fan, but I don't mind elk.

Wendy said...

Love the pictures of Elias , such a cute face. Can't wait to try some deer !

Jake said...

eric good job! i'm up for some deer steak anytime.
JY

Jennica said...

Does "field dress" mean what I think it does?! If so, that is SO sick! I am sorry. I can't think of that at all. I am glad that you had fun doing it. Congrats on the deer and stuff. :)

Full Catastrophe Living

  “ 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” -  Alfred Tennyson   To be Alive To be truly alive Is to...